Tuesday, January 26, 2016

So Far Away from the Past

The format of this blog was supposed to be pretty simple:  I'd reflect on a memory and give a modern reflection.  Theoretically, this format made sense.  I'm a pretty nostalgic guy.  That nostalgia influenced my current state.

But lately I haven't felt that nostalgia.  After 4 1/2 years in the same place, I feel pretty grounded.  My current home is my home.

This week, my city had a huge snowstorm.  Growing up, we would sort of lock ourselves at home.  Even my senior year of college, the "year zero" on which I have indexed my life for a while, we didn't really leave the house.  Who would we see?

The second night of the snowstorm, we had one one friend invite us over for dinner.  Another friend had a party later that night.  That party ended and we walked to an after party in another apartment.  The next day, when I was trying to work from home, a friend texted me and asked us to come play in the park in the snow.  We walked over and ran into at least 10 people we know.  We even invited a neighbor we had just met to join.  Everyone in the neighborhood was having a snowball fight, snowboarding, sledding down the stairs on pieces of cardboard, building forts...  It was like the idyllic childhood I never had.  I just kept smiling.

For the past two days, I've been in Boston.  I have a lot of old college friends here.  I love seeing them, but realistically, it's visiting.  I don't feel like I'm back in college -  my home is in DC now.  It's more of a home than I ever had.

Please drop me a line if you read this blog.  I assume no one does, so I'm always curious.

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment